I got a waffle maker on Friday, and since then, I’ve been obsessed. I’ve wanted one for a while, but hated the thought of spending money on a single use kitchen item. I’m sorry I put it off for so long, because it rocks.
- 1/2 cup protein powder (I used Sun Warrior Vanilla)
- 1/4 flour (I used brown rice)
- 1/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1/4 cup+ carbonated water (I added more in the end to make it more liquidy…you could also just use 1/2 milk total.)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 faux eggs…I used 2 flax eggs*and 1 ener g egg.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tsps pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg)
(*1 flax egg= 1tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tbsp water)
(Makes about 2 Belgium waffles depending on your waffle maker.)
I’m not sure why they came out so dark. They were not burnt at all, so I’m guessing it’s either the way the protein powder or brown rice flour cooks. I also made chocolate ones with the same ingredients but minus the pumpkin and with chocolate protein powder and they came out looking exactly the same.
These are super delicious, and I don’t think they need any syrup at all. I used brown rice flour because I had a bunch in the cabinet, but you could any kind. I also threw in a tablespoon of chia seeds because the store bought waffles we love have them in them. You couldn’t taste a tbsp at all, so next time I’ll add more.